Sad Story: Dog Died of Suffocating on a Chip Bag
Cody Alkerton went to watch a mountain biking competition in Whistler last month and did not expect to see his one-and-a-half-year-old French bulldog died at home! He and his friends came home and found Oscar’s body behind the couch with a chip bag on its head. He tried to make CPR practice for the non-responsive Oscar, but it was too late for the poor dog.
The cause of its death? Oxygen failure on an ordinary chip bag. You have difficulty believing that a snack bag can kill a dog. But it is. Bag on head is like a vacuum and oxygen depletes quickly. In fact, many people lack necessary knowledge of pet safety.
A veterinarian, Dr. Carsten Bandt of Canada West Veterinary Specialists, said, “It(pet death of suffocating on plastic or snack bags) does happen every once in a while, so it’s unfortunately something we do see on a rare basis.” Veterinarians clearly know how dangerous the plastic or snack bags around the house to our furry friends!
“They get their head stuck tightly in that bag… and (when) they start breathing in that bag and they use up all the oxygen and they get no new oxygen supply, and then they suffocate from oxygen failure,” Bandt told Global News.
This should-had-been-avoided accident made Alkerton heart-broken.
“I lost my best friend because I didn’t know,” he regretfully told the Global News, “It was easily preventable!”
This is also the major reason for this sorrowful owner to share his sad story online! He does not want to witness more preventable tragedies!
Alkerton said people around him tried to comfort him that there was nothing they could do about Oscar’s quick and unexpected death. But he found there was one more thing he could do–to raise people’s pet suffocation awareness. He just hope there can be less and even no such senseless pet deaths!
Source: Global News